If you are considering hiring Internationally Trained Workers please download our advertising checklist here. Please note, this is the bare minimum and you should always check with an Immigration lawyer to ensure things are up to date!
With trades jobs booming across Canada, the demand for skilled, experienced tradespeople can outstrip the supply. If you truly cannot find a Canadian or permanent resident to fill your role, and your apprentice ratios are maxed out, you might choose to consider the many internationally trained tradespeople who would jump at the chance to live and work in Canada.
Many Canadians have worked overseas starting up and maintaining operations in mining, oil & gas, pulp & paper and construction. It is often possible to find people have worked alongside or trained under Canadians who have excellent knowledge and skills.
The Canadian government has now made it a little bit easier to recruit internationally with their 10-day speed of service when applying for a Labour Market Information Assessment. It’s a priority system that aims to process certain TFW applications within just 10 business days.
A candidate still has to meet all the program requirements and wait for a work permit. To qualify, the position must be one of the eligible trades and be a high-wage position. Here are some trades eligible for ten-day speed of service:
- Construction trades contractors and supervisors
- Heavy duty mechanics, operators, drillers, contractors and supervisors
- Agricultural mechanics, contractors, and supervisors
- Manufacturing supervisors
- Industrial and construction electricians
- Welders and machine operators
- Gas, chemical processing, and utilities supervisors
- Central control and process operators
- Power engineers and power systems operators
- Water and waste treatment plant operators
- Sheet metal workers
- Welders and related machine operators
- Telecom installers and lineworkers
- Electrical powerline and cable workers
- Steamfitters, pipefitters and sprinkler system installers
- Gas fitters
- HVAC Technicians, refrigeration and air conditioning mechanics
- Aircraft mechanics
- Elevator constructors and mechanics
- Crane operators
- Mining, oil and gas well drillers, blasters, and related workers
For more information, feel free to check out the government site: https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/foreign-workers/service-tables.html
Kael Campbell is President and Lead Recruiter of Red Seal Recruiting Solutions, a company providing recruitment services in mining, equipment and plant maintenance, utilities, manufacturing, construction, and transportation. When he is not recruiting, Kael spends as much time as possible with family in the great outdoors and on the water. He volunteers his time as a Board Member of the Entrepreneurs Organization of Vancouver Island. You are invited to subscribe to our employer newsletter or submit your resume.