Welding Superintendent – Victoria, BC
Our client is Seaspan, a ship repair and shipbuilding company in western North America is hiring a Full-Time Permanent Welding Superintendent in Victoria, BC. As the largest ship repair company on Canada’s Pacific coast, this role requires a leader with in-depth welding knowledge and experience supervising teams of welders on large projects.
Seaspan provides repair and refurbishment of Navy, Commercial and Cruise Ships as well as having its own fleet and marine-related businesses. This is a great opportunity to work for a global company that offers decades of secure contracts a progressive work environment, training and mentorship, support for employee’s families, and long-term job security.
If you have previous Charge Hand, Supervisory or Management experience in welding who is seeking a challenge in a rewarding work environment we want to hear from you! Please give us a call at 1-855-733-7325 (RED)-(SEAL) or text 250-483-5954!
Victoria is the capital of BC and a beautiful city that caters to all lifestyles. It has a population of approximately 345,000. It’s not hard to see why Victoria is a major tourist destination, all year round. It boasts beautiful weather and scenery, friendly people, a vibrant cultural scene, limitless recreational opportunities, and a full range of amenities. To learn more about living in Victoria, visit our Town Page!
Salary: Generous compensation package with relocation assistance, up to 15% bonus.
Benefits: Comprehensive benefits package, RRSP matching.
Shifts: Business hours with flexibility.
- High School diploma required.
- Red Seal or Journeyman ticket in welding, fabrication, ship fitting or equivalent education and experience working with welders.
- 5-7 years supervisory experience in marine structural welding.
- Experience managing a large multi-discipline project-driven workforce.
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent communication, leadership, and interpersonal skills.
- Detailed knowledge and ability to improve team welding procedures and fitting techniques.
- Ability to read and interpret complex technical specifications and drawings.
- Knowledge of shipbuilding terminology, methods, and procedures.
- Demonstrated competency in the development and qualification of weld procedures.
- Ability to conduct business in a professional and ethical manner.
- Strong verbal and written skills.
- Competent in use of Microsoft Office suite including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of certification process under the CSA Standards W47.1/W47.2M.
- Knowledge of regulatory body rules and their application to both repair and new construction projects.
- Ability to conduct inspection of company’s projects to meet SMC S.O.P. standards.
- Knowledge of welding equipment as stated by CSA standards.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with the Welding Engineer to ensure welding procedures and processes are developed that meet customer requirements and are efficient and effective.
- Manage cost, schedule, quality and safety for all Welding Department operations by monitoring budgets, providing skilled and efficient resources, ensuring workmanship meets quality standards and ensuring compliance with company safety procedures.
- Manage the hiring, training and deployment of qualified welders.
- Allocate manpower to projects in accordance with project schedules and priorities, and ensures workers have the requisite skill for assigned tasks.
- Provide input on new projects by actively participating in build and repair strategy development, project schedules and cost estimates.
- Analyze tools, equipment, jigs and fixtures for application to company operations. Provide recommendations to the Steel Manager.
- Assist Purchasing Department in procuring consumable materials for fabrication and welding processes.
- Conduct regular maintenance and safety inspections of equipment, facilities and work sites ensuring deficiencies are quickly rectified.
- Ensure departmental Earned Value Management System (EVMS) reporting is timely and accurate, and supervisors are appropriately trained in system requirements.
- Ensure compliance with union agreement and WCB regulations.
- Maintain positive relationships with customers by communicating scope of work, progress, material and workmanship.
- Work with disability and rehabilitation consultants in assisting injured employees return to work by selecting appropriate tasks and conditions.
- Must be able to complete a criminal record check