The City of Whitehorse is seeking a Senior Project Technician, Operations Department in Whitehorse, YK!
Senior Project Technician, Operations Department
Status of Position
Permanent Full Time
The closing date for this competition is Monday, February 25 2019 at 9:00 pm (PST).
The incumbent provides senior technical, project management and construction administrative services and ensures
compliance with all regulatory requirements for the Operations department.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (This description contains elements necessary for the identification and evaluation of
the job. The incumbent may be required to perform other related duties.)
- Manage, coordinate, monitor, report, and inspect progress of projects including evaluating performance of consultants
and contractors. Issue “stop-work” orders and recommend the issuance of construction completion and final acceptance certificates.
- Review and assist in preparing designs, detail drawings, specifications, project estimates, and controlling budgets in area of responsibility.
- Provide technical support relating to building controls systems and other process controls including programming, ensuring integrity of data, testing, evaluating and making recommendations to ensure efficient operations and regulatory compliance.
- Compile statistics, analyze technical data, undertake studies, research, prepare, and present reports.
- Provide input into department budgets, strategic planning, manuals, servicing standards, and operations in compliance with policies and agreements.
- Prepare proposals and tenders, evaluate, award, and recommend acceptance or rejection of proposals in accordance with procurement practices.
- Coordinate and update asset management systems relating to City infrastructure and new capital projects.
- Act as Manager, Operations and other Operations departments’ supervisory positions as assigned.
- Follow, so far as is reasonably practicable, established safety procedures and standards.
- Other related duties.
Majority of work is in a normal office environment. Exposure to inclement weather, confined spaces, noise, dust, fumes,
traffic, extreme temperatures, utility lines, uneven terrain, and construction sites (including ladders and roofs) when conducting
site visits and managing projects.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Journey certification in a relevant field plus 5th Class Power Engineer.
- 4th Class Power Engineer is an asset.
- 5 years related experience including 2 years in a senior capacity and 6 months on the job training.
- Proven project management, decision-making/problem solving, and interpersonal skills.
- Good organizational, prioritizing, and multitasking skills and the ability to work unsupervised.
- Proven written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to foster and maintain effective relationships among peers and/or stakeholders.
- Valid Yukon Class 5 Driver’s License.
Certifications required within one year may include but not limited to: National and Territorial Building Codes, Asbestos
Awareness, Fall Arrest, Hazard Assessment and Control, Confined Space Entry, Electrical Safety, Trenching Safety, Aerial
Lift, Landfill Operator Certificate; Confined Space Entry; Standard First Aid Level C with CPR; Traffic Control Course;
WHMIS 2015, and Transportation of Dangerous Goods.
EXAMPLES OF REQUIRED EQUIPMENT TO OPERATE:
Light transportation vehicle, sampling, testing, calibration and recording equipment, safety equipment, building controls, boiler
controls, traffic signal controllers, communications and office equipment, computer with applications including Outlook, GIS,
Word, database programs, Excel, AutoCad, and various Engineering software packages.
Trades, Transport, Operators & Labourers
$40.12 to $47.20
Hours Per Week
5 X 7 Hours
Guaranteed Minimum Hours