Job Title: Production Cook
Department: Student and Ancillary Services
Job Type: Continuing
Full-time/Part-time: Full Time (>=1249 hrs/year)
Employee Group: UFCW
Requisition ID: 6706
Wilfrid Laurier University is a leading multi-campus university that excels at educating with purpose. Through its exceptional employees, students, researchers, leaders, and educators, Laurier has built a reputation as a world-class institution known for its rich student experience, academic excellence, and global impact. With a commitment to Indigenization and commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion, Laurier’s thriving community has a place for everyone.
Laurier has more than 19,000 students and 2,100 faculty and staff across campuses in Waterloo and Brantford, as well locations in Kitchener and Milton. The university is committed to providing an inclusive workplace, a flexible work policy and employing a workforce that is reflective of local and national demographics. Our locations are situated on the traditional territories of the Neutral, Anishnawbe, and Haudenosaunee peoples. We recognize the unique heritages of Indigenous peoples and support their intentions to preserve and express their distinctive Indigenous cultures, histories, and knowledge through academic programming and co-curricular activities. Laurier’s Centre for Indigegogy is one example of how Laurier honours Indigenous knowledge.
At Laurier, we are a community. It’s what brings our students here and what keeps our people here. As an educational institution, we inspire lives of leadership and purpose in our student community. As an employer, we seek, foster and value the same qualities of leadership and purpose in our community. Within Food Services, our commitment is to provide the highest quality foods, prepared right in front of your eyes by friendly, energetic people in an open and relaxing atmosphere.
This position involves assisting the Culinary Lead Hand with day to day food production. It is essential for the incumbent to be knowledgeable in food preparation and the use of institutional kitchen equipment. Employees must adhere to food standards and health and safety practices. This position requires the incumbent to stand continuously, moving around the kitchen or service area and possibly in and out of freezers and/or refrigerators. The work environment can be warm, noisy and occasionally crowded.
Food Preparation and Cooking
- Hands on food preparation and presentation, adhering to quality standards
- Preparation, presentation and execution of upscale caterings, as required
- Keep station clean, neat and organized, practicing safe and sanitary preparation and service techniques
- Ensure all food production is completed in accordance with production sheets
- Communicate with customers, clients and employees in a professional manner
- Perform and complete daily cleaning duties, as outlined on cleaning sheets
- Assist Food Services Associates at Fresh Food Company stations, as needed
- Assist Culinary Lead Hand or Culinary Manager with daily operations, as needed
Policies and Procedures
- Follow and adhere to all food services policies and procedures, including, but not limited to:
- FIFO and Day Dot practices
- Food temperature checks
- Quality checking (i.e. expiration dates)
- Adhere to all government/University policies and legislation, including but not limited to:
- Food Safety and Sanitation
- Occupational Health and Safety
- Workers Compensation
- Employment Standards
- Human Rights & Labour Law and Harassment
- Red Seal Chef Papers or equivalent
- Minimum of 3 years of related experience in an institutional kitchen
- Food production experience
- Knowledge of institutional kitchen equipment
- Excellent customer service skills
- Exceptional communication skills
- High attention to detail
- Team orientated
- Continuously striving for improvement
- Ability to lift 10 – 50 pounds
$19.66 per hour
Hours of Work
The Food Services operation is a seven day a week operation and you may be occasionally required to work outside your regularly scheduled work hours. This position is subject to lay-off in December, reading weeks and mid-April to September every year.
This is a full-time position, with a maximum of forty (40) paid hours per week and a maximum of eight (8) paid hours per day. This position is represented by the United Food & Commercial Workers Canada (UFCW) bargaining unit.
Wilfrid Laurier University endeavors to fill positions with qualified candidates who have a combination of education, experience, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position while demonstrating Laurier’s Employee Success Factors.
Equity, diversity and creating a culture of inclusion are part of Laurier’s core values and central to the Laurier Strategy. Laurier is committed to increasing the diversity of faculty and staff and welcomes applications from candidates who identify as Indigenous, racialized, having disabilities, and from persons of any minority sexual and gender identities. Indigenous candidates who would like to learn more about equity and inclusive programing at Laurier are welcomed to contact the Office of Indigenous Initiatives. Candidates from other equity deserving groups who would like to learn more about equity and inclusive programing at Laurier are welcomed to contact Equity & Accessibility. We have strived to make our application process accessible, however if you require any assistance applying for a position or would like this job posting in an alternative format, please contact Human Resources. Contact information can be found at careers.wlu.ca/content/How-to-apply/
Should you be interested in learning more about this opportunity, please visit www.wlu.ca/careers for additional information and the online application system. All applications must be submitted online. Please note, a resume and cover letter will be required in electronic form.