Process Engineer – Merritt, BC
Our client has an exciting position available for a Process Engineer in Merritt, BC. The ideal candidate will become part of a diverse team while earning a competitive compensation package and the opportunity for career advancement. If you have questions about this role, give us a call at 1-855-733-7325 or text 250-483-5954 to learn more. If you are looking for a chance to grow within a stable company, then don’t wait—apply today!
Our client is the leading provider of environmental solutions and has nearly 200,000 employees all over the world. They are proud to provide 3 main services to the local authorities, people and industries. These main services include waste management, water management and energy management. If you want to be a part of a company wherein you can learn, grow and advance, this job is definitely for you!
Merritt, BC is home for approximately 8,000 people. Located northeast of Vancouver, Merritt is a very livable city with friendly residents that can provide all your daily living needs. Tennis, golf, hiking, swimming are few of the many things that you can enjoy in this city.
Salary: Competitive, depending on experience.
Benefits: An excellent RRSP matching. Flexible benefits package, relocation assistance and temporary living allowance provided for the right candidate.
Shifts: 40hr work week, Mon-Fri, must be available for overtime if required by site and reside in Merritt B.C.
- Professional Engineer (P.Eng) or Engineering Technologist (Electrical, Instrumentation, Mechanical)
- Three to five years’ experience in a Power Plant (Biomass or Solid Fuel) or complex manufacturing facility (i.e. Pulp & Paper, etc.)
- Exposure to equipment and process reliability
- Experience with electrical, mechanical, instrumentation & controls systems
- Experience with mechanical conveying systems, rotating equipment, piping and valves
- Exposure to DCS (experience with Emerson Ovation preferred) and PLCs (Allen Bradley preferred)
- Exposure to VFD’s, Servo controls, Pneumatics and Power Distribution Systems.
- Capability to read, interpret and utilize blueprints and drawings
- Ability to pass a criminal record check and pre-employment testing as required
Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable general technical knowledge of process control systems and power plant equipment; solid fuel handling.
- Effective communication, problem solving, interpersonal skills and demonstrated supervisory skills are highly desired.
- Able to plan, organize and, where appropriate, delegate a wide variety of work activities
- Demonstrated ability in training and coaching of junior operators.
- Solid computer skills: proficiency with spreadsheet, email, and word processing software required; Microsoft Office, Windows and the Google suite of office products preferred.
- Working knowledge of Computerized Maintenance Management Software (OWAM) applications, MS Project and Autocad will be an asset.
- Be able to work for prolonged periods in extremes of hot and cold temperatures and inclement weather conditions.
- Be able to tolerate dust and other airborne particles and work around other materials such as biomass, diesel and lube oils.
- Under certain conditions while working in the plant, may be required to wear a respirator.
- Required to wear safety equipment and FR clothing where appropriate.
- Requires frequent stooping, bending, climbing, reaching, and carrying and moving heavy objects with assistance when required.
- Must be able to work from ladders, scaffolds, and high-lifts, and in confined spaces
- Must be available for overtime if required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work in accordance with all Engineering standards and Boiler safety codes.
- Be a key member on the O&M team.
- Investigate and document Plant reliability and availability issues.
- Create corrective action measures and develop the justification for implementation.
- Participate in the creation, editing and review of the Plant Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Provide Engineering expertise for construction, maintenance and repairs within the Plant according to safety, quality, engineering standards and guidelines.
- Provide engineering investigation and services as assigned, throughout the plant.
- Resolve plant reliability and availability issues and implement corrective actions.
- Provide supervision feedback on information regarding plant projects and initiatives, including determining time required, material needs, labour requirements and impact on uptime.
- Establish and perform PM recommendations for process controls and other related plant equipment, submit recommendations, and ensure follow up of corrective actions.
- Collaborates actively with Plant Management in all process and engineering tasks and activities.
- Assists in setting plant operation, maintenance, reliability and capital objectives. Develop, justify and implement new initiatives.
- Assists operational teams in achieving maintenance, reliability and capital objectives. Identify gaps in the management system and make recommendations for improvements
- Identify existing or potential risks and implement corrective measures targeting prevention measures. Promote Best Practice and a pro-active approach. Assist in producing safe systems of work- written procedures.
- Conduct and/or participate in RCM investigations of equipment failures and/or reliability issues and follow-up of corrective actions; update and draft any associated documents and procedures.
- Collaborate to develop the site reliability and operations continuity plans
- Participate in the shutdown planning and scheduling activities for both sites. Collaborate with local teams in identifying work and with the writing of procedures and task identification for individual site requirements
- Work with the site teams to prepare and review safe work procedures for all operating and shutdown activities
- May be asked to participate on health and safety committees and initiatives
- Ensure good communication with stakeholder representatives
- Ensure the compliance of subcontractors and participate in their pre-qualification
- May be required to assist and work at the other plant for short assignments.
- Other related duties, as assigned.