Our client is an electric company that delivers innovative products and services that make electricity easy for customers isn’t just their goal, it’s their promise. They are looking for a Powerline Technician who will be responsible for the construction, operation and maintenance of the Transmission and Distribution systems, equipment and company facilities in accordance with company standards, policies and procedures, and other regulatory requirements and will be expected to actively participate in setting and achieving personal goals. If you are interested in this position, please give us a call at 1-855-733-7325 (RED)-(SEAL), text (604) 343-3535, or submit your resume online now!
Located on the northern shore of Great Slave Lake, Yellowknife, NT is in a remote and scenic part of the Canadian Shield where you can experience all the wonders of nature alongside the amenities of a modern city.
Terms of Employment: Full-Time, Permanent
Benefits: Comprehensive northern benefit package will be provided, including :
- An additional 5% of base salary (northern allowance)
- An additional $650 a month (northern allowance)
- Additional 5 days’ vacation for North of 60 positions and 2 travel days
- Travel allowance administered bi-annually in January and July of each year
- Relocation will be offered to the successful candidate
- Valid Journeyman Powerline Technician Certificate. Ability to obtain Interprovincial Red Seal.
- Valid Class 5 vehicle operator’s license. Ability to obtain Class 1 or Class 3 Operator’s License.
- Valid First Aid Certificate.
- Minimum 4 years of experience through a Powerline apprenticeship program.
- Previous on-call and troubleshooting experience preferred.
Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated knowledge of live line techniques using bare hand, sticks and 25kv rubber glove work achieved through live line training is preferred.
- A proven safe work record, including driver’s abstract.
- Demonstrated skills in training apprentices and development of teams and individual performance.
- Personal computer experience is an asset.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Constructs, operates, inspects and maintains overhead and underground power lines, substation and related apparatus.
- Constructs, operates, inspects installs and maintains street lighting systems, including poles, relays, lamps, ballasts.
- Works on energized electrical circuits, including live line processes necessary to perform work.
- Performs system switching, ensuring adherence to Electrical Operation Standards and necessary clearances / permits are obtained.
- Assists in the supervision of contracted labour (construction crews, hydrovac etc).
- Carries out maintenance and planned programs and system inspections in accordance with yearly plan and ensures proper documentation.
- Assists electrical technicians in the installation and maintenance of electrical equipment.
- Assists in commissioning new construction for compliance and operating needs.
- Identifies and evaluates operating problems and assists in determining long term / short term solutions. This includes diagnosing oh / ug faults for cause.
- Performs standby duties, including emergency response.
- Schedules outages and prepares switching orders.
- Installs and uses electrical apparatus, including regulators, reclosers, gang switches, fusing.
- Assists and participates in the budget process.
- Interpret and applies applicable terms, conditions and policies.
- Responds to customer service requests, (connect, disconnect and collection), power quality issues etc. in a complete and timely manner.
- Investigate, assess and recommend corrective actions to customer complaints.
- Participates and assists in the organization of company-sponsored community relations activities.
- Determine routing and coordination for hi-load moves.
- Installs, verifies and reads electrical meters.
- Shipping and storage of meters.
- Completes U / G locates and the required documentation.
- Provides accurate field checks.
- Maintains knowledge of various systems (Oracle, Okta, MS Word, Excel and Outlook).
- Adheres to applicable safety and environmental standards, & regulations.
- Performs safety audits and promotes safe work practices.
- Identifies and corrects unsafe working conditions.
- Safely operates and maintains company vehicles and equipment.
- Participates in safety meetings, helping to identify and resolve issues in a constructive manner.
- Provides and contributes to daily work plans and completes job safety analysis.
- Promotes public safety awareness within the communities, industries etc through presentations and education.
- Exercises good environmental practices.
- Assists in incident investigations (public and internal) as required.
- Establishes personal developmental objectives.
- Undertakes a temporary assignment to a higher classification or position if requested.
- Read, compile and maintain records, and drawings as required.
- Successfully complete and applies all training & development opportunities.
- May lead, coach and mentor apprentices and co-workers as required.