Job Title: Mechanic (Journeyman) (Weekend Shift)
Position: Mechanic (Journeyman) (Weekend Shift)
Division: Transportation and Construction
Department: Roadways, Fleet and Support Services
Term: 2 Permanent Full Time position(s) available.
Closing Date: 09/12/2023
Labour Group: CUPE 859
Under supervision of the Supervisor X, this position maintains and repairs a variety of vehicles and equipment.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Reviews work orders, carries out repairs and preventative maintenance on a variety of vehicles and equipment.
- Inspects vehicles and equipment, including road tests where necessary, and tests various systems and components to determine specific problems.
- Adjusts, repairs and replaces parts and components of vehicles and equipment using handtools and other specialized equipment.
- Tests and adjusts repaired systems to manufacturer’s performance specifications.
- Performs a variety of preventative maintenance and safety inspections, such as SGI inspections, to meet regulatory requirements.
- Diagnoses and repairs a variety of mechanical, electrical, pneumatic and hydraulic systems and associated components.
- Performs minor fabrication and welding duties as required.
- Completes required documentation such as inspection forms, service reports, etc.
- Supports and promotes the health and safety of employees and the general public in
- accordance with the Saskatchewan Employment Act, Saskatchewan Health Regulations and Standards, Occupational Health & Safety Regulations and the City of Saskatoon’s administrative Occupational Health & Safety policies and departmental procedures. Maintains and monitors programs which affect public and employee health and safety.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Grade 12 education.
- Possession of a valid provincial or inter-provincial Journeyperson designation in Automotive, Truck and Transport, or Heavy Duty mechanics. Possession of a recognized Apprenticeship Certificate is preferred.
- Five years of Journeyperson experience with vehicles, large equipment and heavy-duty truck repairs.
- Possession of a valid Saskatchewan Class 3A Driver’s Licence.
- Current driver’s abstract from SGI demonstrating a safe driving record.
- Possession of WHMIS training certificate, training provided upon hire.
- Considerable knowledge of the operation and use of current test equipment.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trade.
- Knowledge of electronic engines, transmissions, hydraulics, air/hydraulic brakes and other onboard vehicle systems.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, individually or as a team member.
- Ability to comprehend technical service manuals and bulletins.
- Ability to process and complete all required forms and reports.
- Demonstrated skills in welding and fabrication.
- Skill in the operation of a computer.
Weekly Hours: 4 – 10Hour Shifts, Friday – Monday. 6:30AM – 5:00PM.
Salary Range: $37.34 to $39.44 CAD per hour (2022 rates)
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The City of Saskatoon offers an inclusive workplace that embraces diverse backgrounds. As an equity partner with the Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission (SHRC), the City commits to diversity, equity and inclusion in our workplaces. By having our workforce reflect the community we serve, we support the realization of miyo-pimatisiwin, (me-o-pi-ma-ti-si-win) “the good life”, for all residents. To learn more about Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at the City, please visit Saskatoon.ca/diversity
The City of Saskatoon strives to provide an accessible and inclusive workplace for all, including throughout the application and selection process through reasonable access and accommodations. Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please email email@example.com.