THE CORPORATION OF THE
TOWN OF OAKVILLE
POSITION ID: 4380-001 CALL NO. 23-3042 (CUPE 136)
Job Designation: Licensed Mechanic A
Department: Roads and Works
Salary Range: $37.76 (Full Time Rate)
Pay Grade: Band 8 (Schedule A)
Closing Date: Applications for this position must be received at oakville.ca by no later than 11:59 pm on February 2, 2023.
Note: Consideration may be given to applicants who do not possess a 310S Automotive Technician Certificate of Qualification highlighted below if a fully qualified candidate is not available in the applicant pool. A successful applicant without the pre-requisite certification would be expected to obtain the 310S certification within 24 months of employment as a condition of continued employment and would be compensated at the Apprentice Band 7 rate at $35.05/hour (Temporary rate) or $35.65/hour (Full-time rate).
Reporting to the Shop Supervisor, and receiving direction from the Leadhand, the Licensed Mechanic A is responsible for repairs on light automotive, heavy truck, plows & winter control equipment, aerial devices, off-road, agricultural rated equipment, trailers, heavy and small equipment for Roads and Works Operations, Parks and Open Space, Recreation and Culture, Oakville Fire and Oakville Hydro.
The Hours of Work for this position are 40 hours per week, afternoon shift (the afternoon shift may vary seasonally Mon. – Fri. 8 hrs/day or Mon. – Thurs. 10 hrs/day). Please be advised that hours may vary with appropriate notice.
- Performs scheduled Inspections, Preventive Maintenance, Repairs, Rebuilds, Tracing and Analysis, Adjustments, etc. on (but not limited to) vehicles, on and off-road equipment, automotive, industrial, agricultural, small tools and equipment, and their related components and systems
- Data search, diagnoses and repair of all vehicle systems including electrical, emission, transmission, engine, brakes, steering, suspension, hydraulic, pneumatic, and water systems
- Typical systems worked on include: Brakes – air, hydraulic, disc and drum. Engines – gas, diesel, propane. Drive Trains – standard and automatic transmissions with or without PTO, hydrostatic, axles, differentials, gearboxes, and clutches. Systems – Includes pneumatic, hydraulic, water, electrical. There are also welding and metal repair and some fabrication requirements;
- Records entries of activities including work orders, inspection sheets etc. and material usage;
- Provides guidance and instructions to students and drivers;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Secondary school graduation, OSSD, or Ontario recognized equivalent. Valid 310 T Truck and Coach Technician to latest standards certificate and a valid 310 S Automotive Service Technician to latest standards certificate are required.
- Minimum of 5 years of related experience in vehicle maintenance.
- Minimum of 2 years Municipal or equivalent diversified fleet experience.
- Lift truck operations and ICE-P Internal Combustion Alternate Fuel Technician – Propane certificates are definite assets.
- Ability to operate all necessary shop equipment including oxyacetylene torches, arc and MIG welders and plasma cutter is required.
- Possess own set of mechanic’s basic tools.
- Ability to use electronic monitoring and diagnostic equipment is required.
- Must be able to function with technical drawings for equipment, electrical, pneumatic, fluid power. Must be competent in the use a computer in a Windows / Network environment.
- Understanding of Book 7 Traffic Control, Highway Traffic Act, MSDS, WHMIS, Knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety Act, and other Regulations and Standards as they affect this work.
- Demonstrate effective communications, both oral and written, customer service, and problem solving skills. Proficient time management skills and flexibility in adjusting between a variety of duties. Ability to work with minimal supervision and as part of a team.
- Must hold and provide a copy of a valid and unrestricted Ontario Driver’s License Class DZ minimum (standard and automatic transmission) with a driving record that demonstrates responsible and safe driving behaviour. Note: Applicants with 6 or more points are ineligible for consideration. The successful applicant, who is a new hire, will be required to provide the Corporation with a current drivers abstract (no older than 30 days) as a condition of employment.
The following qualifications would be considered assets:
- Aerial Device training or certificate (or equivalent experience).
- Wheel end training endorsement (MTOATS) or equivalent.
- Air conditioning experience and certificate (Ozone depletion card).
- Possession of heavy or light duty repair technician or Inspector’s certificates for the Ontario Drive Clean program.
DATED: January 19, 2023.
This job profile reflects the general requirements necessary to perform the principal functions of the job. This does not include all of the work requirements of the job. Applicants are required to demonstrate through their application and in the interview process that their qualifications match those specified. The minimum threshold score for each of the testing and interview components of the recruitment process is 75%.
The successful candidate will be required to submit proof of full vaccination in accordance with the town’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy and Procedure. Accommodation requests for new hires that are unable to get vaccinated against COVID-19 for reasons protected under the Ontario Human Rights Code, must be made in writing to the Human Resources department.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Successful candidates will abide by Ontario Health & Safety Legislation and follow Corporate Health & Safety Policies.
The Town of Oakville is an equal opportunity employer
Personal information collected from applications and resumes is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001, and will be used to determine qualifications for employment. Questions about this collection of information should be directed to Human Resource Services, 1225 Trafalgar Road, Oakville, Ontario L6H 0H3