THE CORPORATION OF THE
TOWN OF OAKVILLE
Call No.: 22-2905 Position ID: 4191-001
Job Designation: Licensed Mechanic B
Department: Fleet Services, Roads and Works
Salary Range: $35.35 (Probationary Rate)
$35.65 (Full Time Rate)
Job Details: Full-Time (CUPE136)
Posting Status: This posting is open to current Town of Oakville employees and external applicants.
Note: Consideration may be given to applicants who do not possess a 310B Auto Body and Collision Damage Repairer highlighted below if a fully qualified candidate is not available in the applicant pool. A successful applicant without the pre-requisite certification would be expected to obtain the 310B Auto Body and Collision Damage Repairer within 24 months of employment as a condition of continued employment and would be compensated at the Apprentice Band 7 rate at $35.05/hour (Temporary rate) or $35.65/hour (Full-time rate).
The Town of Oakville, Fleet Services is responsible for the repairs and maintenance on Roads & Works, Parks & Open Space, Recreation & Culture, Fire and Oakville Hydro Departments, on light automotive, heavy truck, plows & winter control equipment, aerial devices, off-road, agricultural rated equipment, trailers, and small equipment. Mechanics are exposed to a variety of equipment types, including, but not limited to: Cars, trucks heavy and light duty, vans, off-road units riding mowers, farm tractors, winter control equipment which include trackless and bombardier sidewalk plows, sweepers, madvacs, roller/compactors and other miscellaneous construction equipment (i.e.: backhoes), blowers, chippers, compressors, trimmers, lawn mowers, pumps, saws, routers, tampers, augers, and generators. Equipment may be hand held, carriage, tractor, trailer or chassis mounted.
Reports to the Shop supervisor and fleet lead hands. Performs body and other repairs, overhauls, inspects and diagnoses of Hydro, Fire and all Oakville’s Fleet vehicles in an efficient and effective manner with a high degree of quality to reduce or eliminate premature wear/corrosion, service calls, in-service failures and provide maximum service dependability.
The Hours of Work for this position are 40 hours per week, day shift (the day shift may vary seasonally Mon. – Fri. 8 hrs/day or Mon. – Thurs. 10 hrs/day). Please be advised that hours may vary with appropriate notice.
- Diagnose the damage of vehicles and equipment systems for the purposes of repair
- Inspects, designs and performs metal fabrication; may be called upon to assist other technicians if required
- Mobile welding of railings, park benches, expansion grates and doors/ gates throughout the Town of Oakville as requested.
- File, grind, sand, fill and finish various metals and fiberglass.
- Cutting and bending / restoration of metal components. Plasma and oxyacetylene use.
- Weld using stick, MIG, TIG, ARC welding machines.
- Sand blasting, priming and spray painting of metals.
- Weld breaks in body and frames, associated parts, and fabricate as required.
- Work with and weld, paint and prepare surfaces of aluminum, steel or fiberglass.
- Collision repairs for vehicles to OEM standards.
- Use of varying types of fastening methods, including rivets, welding, chemical bonding etc.
- Remove, refurbish and install parts / components / systems necessary to perform body repairs.
- Operate shop equipment necessary for such repairs, i.e. drills and hydraulic presses, lifting equipment, pipe benders.
- Read, interpret, and function with technical drawings and Blue prints for redesign of equipment.
- Performs the laid out tasks of the Preventive Maintenance Schedule for the shop equipment relevant to this position and assists Leadhand and/or Management with their planning if requested.
- Enters and maintains accurate records and data on work performed daily.
- Performs job duties in accordance with the Occupational Health & Safety Act and the Corporate Policies of the Town of Oakville.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Secondary school graduation, OSSD, or Ontario recognized equivalent.
- Completion of Auto body and Collision Damage Repairer (310B) Ontario Trade Licence.
- Certified all position welder (Arc welding, Mig welding, Tig welding) Mild steel, cast iron, aluminium and plastics.
- Diversified equipment experience as noted in the summary above is required.
- Minimum 3-4 years of related job experience.
- Minimum 1-2 years municipal of equivalent fleet experience
- Must be prepared and capable of achieving certification in lift truck operations within a one year period.
- Ability to operate necessary shop equipment as well as cutting torches, arc welders and MIG welders is required.
- Must possess own set of mechanic’s basic tools.
- Ability to read, write and comprehend memos, letters, work orders, instructions, service manuals, electrical/electronic schematics, parts catalogue, technical drawings, operators reports, operator manuals, assembly diagrams, wiring diagram updates, repair reports, job estimates and hydraulic schematic updates.
- Must posses basic mathematical skills to comprehend using addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, percentages, and ratios.
- Must be able to use a computer in a Windows / Network environment.
- Familiarity with Book 7 Traffic Control, Highway Traffic Act, MSDS, WHMIS, Knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety Act, and other Regulations and Standards as they affect this work would be an asset.
- Demonstrate effective communications, both oral and written, customer service, and problem solving skills. Proficient time management skills and flexibility in adjusting between a varieties of duties is required.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, or as part of a team where required.
- Must hold and provide a copy of a valid and unrestricted Ontario Driver’s License Class G minimum (standard and automatic transmission) with a driving record that demonstrates a responsible and safe driving behaviour.
- Note: Applicants with 6 or more points are ineligible for consideration. The successful applicant, who is a new hire, will be required to provide the Corporation with a current drivers abstract (no older than 30 days) as a condition of employment.
- Required to upgrade License to DZ within 90 days of commencing employment.
Applications for this position must be received at oakville.ca in the employment section by no later than midnight on November 23, 2022
DATED: November 3, 2022
This job profile reflects the general requirements necessary to perform the principal functions of the job. This does not include all of the work requirements of the job. Applicants are required to demonstrate through their application and in the interview process that their qualifications match those specified. The minimum threshold score for each of the testing and interview components of the recruitment process is 70%.
The successful candidate will be required to submit proof of full vaccination in accordance with the town’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy and Procedure. Accommodation requests for new hires that are unable to get vaccinated against COVID-19 for reasons protected under the Ontario Human Rights Code must be made in writing to the Human Resources department
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.