Are you a Health and Safety professional looking for a new opportunity? Our client, a premier mushroom grower and marketer located in Langley, BC, is seeking a Health and Safety Coordinator to assist developing and implementing safety programs and daily HR operations at all their farm locations. Our client prides themselves on their newly renovated facilities, progressive farming techniques, and team environment. This is a great opportunity for someone who thrives on education and organization. If you’re diligent, hard-working, and people-oriented, then we want to hear from you! Apply online today, or give us a call at 1-855-733-7325 (RED)-(SEAL) or text at 604-343-3535.
Langley is located only 40 km from the City of Vancouver. It is ideally situated within the southwestern portion of the Lower Mainland, with one of the most active industrial and service commercial land bases found in the Lower Mainland Economic Region. Langley supplies easy access to the USA, the Pacific Ocean and the vast Coastal Mountain range. Langley has all the amenities of any urban center in very close proximity: great shopping, 300 acres of parks, world-class educational institutions, entertainment facilities, hospital and airport close by in the Township of Langley. With a local population of 25,000 in the City and 95,000 in the Township, the people of Langley enjoy a relaxed lifestyle and a strong community spirit. To learn more about living in Langley, visit our Town Page!
Salary: Depending on Experience.
Benefits: Comprehensive benefits package including MSP, health, and dental.
Shifts: Mon-Fri, 40hr work week.
- Degree, Diploma or Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety, or Human Resource Management.
- Preference will be given to those with a CPHR, CRSP, or CHSC designation WHMIS, Health and Safety, First Aid training is an asset.
- Minimum of 3 years of direct experience in HR and health and safety.
- Experience in Incident Reporting & Investigation.
Skills and Abilities:
- Proficient in word documents, spreadsheets, databases, and general computer use.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills with proven hands-on employee relations and Human Resources Generalist experience.
- Knowledge of applicable Canadian Employment Legislation and Health and Safety regulations, standards and codes.
- Must have the ability to influence or coach employees at all levels of the organization.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Recommend and implement appropriate safety policies and practices to ensure compliance with local and provincial legislative requirements and corporate safety guidelines, under the direction of the HR Manager and the Corporate Safety Manager.
- Act as a liaison with governmental agencies and serve as management’s representative in the case of inquiries and inspections to correct deficiencies and minimize citations and fines for non-compliance.
- Recommend, coordinate, implement and conduct educational and training programs relative to safety for employees.
- Coordinate and implement inspection programs at all farms, e.g. – accident investigations equipment inspection, safety audits and regular walk through inspections, in addition to staff housing inspections for Temporary Foreign Workers.
- Responsible for leave, illness, attendance and claims management and communication with Human Resources, payroll and department managers on compensation related matters.
- Oversees 3rd party interactions, including vendors and contractors for compliance with and tracking of safety policies.
- First Aid and Health and Safety Committee duties and management.
- Is a resource to the Human Resources Advocate in the Alberta location. Ensures proper adherence to safety policies and procedures at the Alberta farm.
- Helps build supportive, trusted and respected relationships with farm associates and leadership. Cultivates a culture that reflects core values of integrity, excellence, care, respect, effort, openness and fairness.
- Other duties as required.
- Orientation training, including WHMIS, Food Safety and GMP’s, Attendance Policy, Workplace Incident Reporting, Return to Work and Disability Management, Ergonomic Policy and the Highline Stretching Program, Workplace Violence, Harassment and Bullying Policy, Health and Safety Policy and OHSA Responsibility will be required.
- Other training as identified from time to time by the company.
- Medical and Criminal record check and clean driver’s abstract required.
- Flexible schedule required, including holiday/weekend/evening/on/extended hour call work on occasion or in emergencies.
- Working conditions are normal for a farm environment.
- May require a person to climb ladders and or stairs.
- Candidate must be able to work under stress and complete or keep detailed documentation.
- Monthly travel to the Alberta farm and weekly travel to the farm locations throughout British Columbia required.
- Approximately 50% of the week must be spent on the farm floor.