Are you a Power Engineer who loves to learn and wants to work in the field doing hands-on maintenance? Then we want to hear from you! We have a new role that can give you a great work-life balance, and provide you and your family some of the best benefits in the country. Our client, one of Waterloo’s Top Employers of 2019, is seeking a 3rd or 4th Class Operating/Power Engineer to perform maintenance and repair at their educational facilities in Waterloo, ON. If you like the sound of that, then give us a call at 1-855-733-7325 (RED)-(SEAL), text 647-484-0311 or email us your resume!
As the first point of contact for a large facility, you will receive the training and experience to work on all types of equipment and processes. You will be responsible for ensuring the safe operation and maintenance of facility equipment, such as boilers, chillers, air compressors, pumps, HVAC equipment, and more.
Our client offers annual raises, banked time, and excellent benefits including extended health, family assistance programs, and subsidized fitness memberships, just to start! With a rotating 12-hour shift schedule, you will have 3 out of 5 weekends off and 3-4 day weekends, so you can spend more time with the family than ever. You and your family can also take advantage of free tuition on hundreds of the best educational programs in the country.
With loads of in-house training, online training, leadership training, and mentoring, this is a great opportunity to join an inclusive company that is committed to the health, wellness, and success of their employees and their families.
Waterloo, ON is one of the “Tri-Cities” of Southern Ontario, along with Kitchener and Cambridge. It is located 30 minutes’ drive from Guelph, and an hour from Hamilton. Waterloo offers affordable housing and all necessary amenities, from hospitals to universities to a local airport. Residents enjoy attending the several arts and heritage festivals a year or the 200-hectare RIM Park, which includes asphalt trails, a golf course, and a heritage farmstead. Waterloo is a vibrant community many are happy to call home.
Salary: $34.68/hour, unionized.
- Extended health, dental and vision care.
- Life insurance and disability insurance benefits.
- Maternity and parental leave supplementary benefits.
- Tuition waiver program (up to 100%).
- Financial assistance for computer/peripherals purchase.
- Employee and family assistance program.
- Priority access to childcare services.
- Generous vacation allowance and other leaves.
- Short-term and long-term disability programs designed to provide income protection and support.
- Three designated floating days.
- Subsidized memberships to designated fitness facilities.
- Hybrid pension plan and retirement services.
Shifts: 12 hour shifts 3-4 times a week. Includes day, night, and relief shifts. May be required to be on call as necessary.
- Must possess a current 3rd Class Operating Engineer certificate or current Refrigeration B certificate and a 4th Class Operating Engineer certificate.
- Hold a willing to get a Gas Tech II certificate, within a set period of time.
- Experience or certification as a HVACR Technician or Millwright would be an asset.
- Must possess a valid Class – G Ontario Driver’s license.
Experience: Extensive experience with building maintenance, various types of heating and cooling systems, life safety systems, boilers, chillers, air compressors, pumps valves, etc.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to read and work from blueprints and schematics.
- Knowledge of fire and safety codes and sprinkler systems.
- Ability to make technical decisions in emergency situations.
- Computer literacy, e.g. use of control systems, computer system, email etc.
- Ability to work in a team environment with a minimum of supervision. Shares information with team members. Is collaborative in dealing with customers and fellow employees.
- Customer focused – responds promptly to customer needs. Uses customer information to improve service. Establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers.
- Receptive to change – can adapt to changing circumstances. Makes suggestions for improvement. Is proactive in ensuring job knowledge is current.
- Respects diversity – treats others with respect. Is understanding. Avoids unnecessary conflict.
- Managing self – exhibits a strong sense of own capabilities. Demonstrates honesty, integrity and ethical conduct. Accepts ownership and accountability for own actions. Demonstrates commitment to continuous learning.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Services, operates and maintains all steam and hot water generating and HVAC equipment per code and schedule.
- Installs, services, maintains and repairs mechanical pumps as required.
- Maintains, operates and checks chillers and related equipment to the specific schedules.
- Repairs and maintains humidifiers, water softeners and de-ionizers.
- Operates and performs preventative maintenance on all plant and life safety equipment as per schedule and in a safe and efficient manner.
- Performs pipefitting, and some soldering and welding (arc or oxyacetylene).
- Services and maintains compressors and pneumatic controls.
- Prepares estimates for work orders.
- Requests, orders or picks up required material from suppliers in order to complete the job.
- Controls water treatment, services and maintains pool and ancillary equipment including vacuuming.
- Accesses, monitors and controls Building Automation System.
- Collaborates, interacts with trades/contractors/customers in order to coordinate completion of work.
- First point of contact for responding to and resolving all emergency off hours trades related calls and issues.
- Other duties as required.
- Physical effort: Heavy lifting, bending pipes. Reaching, bending, stretching, climbing.
- Physical environment: Varying temperatures including excessive heat, noise, exposure to fumes, chemicals and solvents, dirty water including sewage waste products and possibly infectious or toxic environment. Working in cramped quarters.
- Sensory attention: Following required codes. Reading blueprints. Attention to detail when working with power-house equipment. Operating specialized equipment. Operating computer.
- Mental stress: Moderate. 24hr/7day Shift Work Required.