Are you looking to make a difference in Calgary and lead a team focused on the future?
Momentum’s Skills Training Department currently works with people living on low incomes to prepare them for a career in the trades, provides support for apprentices struggling to achieve their journeyperson status, and provides microloans to people who are working toward a better job. But we don’t want to stop there.
We’re looking for a Skills Training Department Manager with vision to oversee the development of new programs that will equip our participants for jobs of the future, all while maintaining the quality programming we’ve been offering for more than 25 years. And of course, it’ll take an exceptional leader to guide the dynamic team that makes this all possible
Momentum is an award winning and nationally recognized community economic development (CED) organization utilizing innovative approaches to poverty reduction. We use financial literacy, skills training, and small business development as tools to empower people as they exit poverty.
We’re striving to be an employer of choice and were selected as one of Alberta’s Top 70 Employers for 2016. We provide competitive compensation and benefits with an unparalleled work environment. We’re professional and diverse so you’ll find a range of people and backgrounds working here, anywhere from an MBA to a Social Worker, and everything in between. We’re serious about our work but we love to celebrate and have fun along the way. We have high standards within a supportive setting that allows us to achieve a lot and have meaningful impact in the community. We’re good corporate citizens with sustainability being one of our values and take care to reduce our environmental footprint.
Momentum staff work cooperatively with others; demonstrate flexibility in organizing work; have good communication skills; and demonstrate thoughtfulness in decision making. As a learning organization, Momentum staff are expected to continuously develop professionally and personally.
Staff are non-judgmental and receptive in approach and reflect genuine concern, respect and commitment towards the individual, family and community.
To see why Momentum is a great place to work and what we have to offer visit www.momentum.org
Check out our mission, vision and values and how we work with our participants to make a difference.
If this sounds like a place where you would want to work, please review the position below to see if there’s a fit with your skills and experience.
The Skills Training Department is led by a Department Manager who works in close collaboration with the Department Coordinator. The Manager provides overall strategic leadership to the department and is supported by the Coordinator in the design, implementation and evaluation of programs. The Department Manager is responsible to the Director of Operations to ensure effective management of the Skills Training department.
Key areas of Responsibility:
- Provide overall leadership of Skills Training Department programs
- Oversee the development of new programs and initiatives
- Manage community and industry engagement activity
- Provide leadership to Skills team members
- Manage the department finances and reporting requirements
- Supervisor: Director of Operations
- Skills Training Department staff and contractors
- Skills Training Department participants
- Momentum staff
- Funders & partners
- Research and develop new or innovative program ideas to meet community need within the context of Momentum’s Business Plan.
- Ensure Skills Training Department programs are consistent with CED principles and Momentum values.
- Ensure consistent delivery of outcome-focused programs, and ongoing implementation of continuous quality improvement plans within the Skills Training Department.
- Oversee departmental data management systems for program statistics, outcome measurement, communications, promotion and evaluation.
- Support departmental marketing strategy to participants and employers.
- Facilitate program use of space and non-financial resources.
- Ensure appropriate program policies and procedures are in place and regularly reviewed.
- Participate on the Department Manager team, related staff committees, and in the wider work of Momentum.
Manage Community & Industry Engagement:
- Maintain and expand existing community and industry partnerships and networks.
- Participate in collaborative initiatives to engage diverse stakeholders in Skills Training Department activities.
- Represent Momentum and the Skills Training Department at conferences, community events and consultations.
- Liaise with Departmental stakeholders, including community partners, industry connections, and government representatives.
- Provide staff with an overall vision for the Skills Training Department.
- Lead team through strategic and business planning processes.
- Manage new opportunities for the Skills Training Department.
- Lead hiring of new staff members.
- Provide performance engagement support to staff members, including regular performance conversations, goal setting, and professional development.
- Manage team member compensation and expense requirements
- Facilitate team building and collaboration among all the Skills Training Department staff members.
- Promote Momentum’s values and culture with staff.
- Encourage synergies within the Skills Training Department and other Momentum departments.
- Supervise use and training of volunteers to enhance departmental programming.
Manage Department Finances:
- Lead Department budget planning.
- Develop funding proposals.
- Lead Department revenue generation plans.
- Ensure department budget is implemented successfully
- Support staff to ‘Thinking 3’ for purchasing decisions in support of our sustainability value.
- Ensure the relationships with existing departmental funders and SAIT are well managed.
Skills and Qualifications
- Post-secondary education in the field of business, economics, human services or related discipline
- Demonstrated leadership abilities
- Entrepreneurial and results oriented
- Supervision skills and experience
- Program planning, development and evaluation experience
- Experience in working with marginalized or barriered individuals, including immigrants and Indigenous persons, and a passion for training programs targeted for people living on low-incomes
- High level of computer literacy in word processing, database, email and Internet systems
- Ability to research and stay current with trends impacting labour market and workforce development
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in an outcomes-based environment
- Ability to manage and interpret budgets
- Excellent organizational skills and communication skills, including the ability to network effectively
- Excellent interpersonal, team building, and problem solving skills
- Ability to work independently and flexibly in a collaborative work environment
- Knowledge of and experience managing government-funded training contracts
- Knowledge of construction and manufacturing trades an asset
- Knowledge of CED an asset
To apply please forward resume with covering letter via e-mail to: email@example.com.
State competition number in subject line of email
Attention: Hiring Committee. Competition Number: RED0801
Closing Date: Friday, September 4, 2017 or until suitable candidate is found
Applicants must state salary expectations in their cover letter.
Momentum is an equal opportunity employer. Persons from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.